Friday, January 6, 2012

He in Us

                                                                                                                                     January 1, 2012
I love to play the guitar.  Many years ago I noticed how an FCA event was made special in the giftedness of one guitar in the hands of a talented leader.  Our FCA was struggling in the area of music, so I vowed to God on the trip home to pick up my mother’s old nylon six string and try to learn in thirty minutes like the title of her book in the case promised.  I learned the chords G, C and D, and I was off and running.  I have never mastered it but take great pleasure in watching Josh play.  I taught him those chords long ago and he is just amazing now. 
Last week, I had struggled, but I managed to pick out “O Come, O Come Immanuel” on Mom’s old guitar.  I had a hard time singing it so invited Lauren to come sing as I picked.  All of the sudden I felt like a professional.  A beautiful voice disguised all my stumbled strumming.  It is amazing how that picture illustrates what Jesus Christ does in our lives, isn’t it?  He comes into the likes of us, people who are broken, awkward, fumbling and lost and makes us new, useful, gifted and purposed.
Lauren has always wanted to learn to play and noticed that the chords for that song looked easy.  “Daddy, can you teach me that song?”  You can imagine my joy when just five minutes later; Lauren was strumming to “O Come, O Come Immanuel.” God multiplied my joy that night!  He made three become one voice as His Spirit filled a moment for a father and daughter.
Happy New Year!
Coach/PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment