Monday, December 23, 2013

Patient Persistence

Nineteen years ago, I met a young middle school boy at Furman football camp.  He had a lot of innocent mischief as a camper and it drew me into a relationship that carried over to the next summer.  I came to recognize this young man each summer, then as God would have it, I changed coaching jobs and ultimately coached the young man his junior and senior years in high school. By this time the absence of a father was taking its toll.  Alcohol, drugs and much of the violence that comes with these evil darts had become a norm for him. The relationship took on more of a mentoring and coaching in life role off the field. I remember a number of rescues from dangerous parts of town, spending the night with him in detox chasing demons and long talks on long walks.  He would come to our house when in trouble.  We would make popcorn on the stove (as opposed to in the microwave) and sit on the front porch rocking in the chairs and praying about his life.  Most of those years were very disheartening for his mother, sister and me.  It seemed that no treatment program would rescue him from a life of addiction spiraling down toward death. He would sit in those rocking chairs and in tears say, "Coach, one day I want to sit in your rocking chair." That became my undying prayer even at the worst of updates.  Many years later, after successful treatment plans and many setbacks, he came to my church yesterday.  He entered into the waters of baptism.  His belief in God since childhood now grasped the flag of surrender.  We shared a morning of worship with a wonderful body of believers who pledged their continued prayers for him.  God answers in His time.  He always answers.  His glory is always on display in those who are faithful.  Yesterday, His glory was shining brightly in Sumter, SC.  I think God moved his rocking chair yesterday.  I thank my wife and children for sharing their dad all those years with a dear friend and family!  To God be the glory, honor and praise. 
Coach/PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment