Friday, October 30, 2015

Communion


When I was a child, I can remember Judge Todd slapping my wrists for reaching for more grape juice after communion.  I always thought he was a mean old man.  As I have grown older, I have come to respect this gentleman’s correction of a rambunctious little preacher’s boy.  I just didn’t know any better.  You see, the Lord’s Table is to be revered, respected and remembered.  I read this week that this sacrament is more than just a time when believers remember Jesus’ death on the cross and the shedding of His blood for man’s sin.  Jesus instructed His disciples to remember Him whenever they eat of this bread and drink this cup.  In the church, we must recognize that no other group gathered practices this.  It sets us apart. 

When we eat of the bread that represents Christ’s body broken for each of us, when we drink of the cup that represents His blood shed for us, we distinguish ourselves as His.  We are His people.  We are His disciples.  We are His church.  We remember Him.  We recall what He has done for us in saving us. 
COACH/PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment