Monday, March 4, 2019

Slow to Speak


     Do you think Jesus measured twice before he cut in his father’s carpentry shop?  That’s a principle Tina’s dad taught me that is a common rule among carpenters.  “Measure twice…cut once.”  Among a gathering of men, we discussed the meaning of “When I was a child I spoke like a child…but when I became a man I put my childish ways behind me” I Cor. 13:11.  One noted James’ words “be quick to hear and slow to speak” meaning measure wisely your words. Would you agree we all need a measure of caution with our words?

     One morning I awoke to read these words “I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the level; then hail will sweep away the refuge of lies and the waters will overflow the secret place” Isaiah 28:17. The Lord is just and righteous.  His words are precise, balanced and true. Paul wrote that God’s word “is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart” Hebrews 4:12.  The Lord’s Word cuts deeply and with accuracy to the needs of a body’s heart and soul.  Our body!

     Let us be wise carpenters with our words.  Let us measure twice before we speak.  Let us listen and be quick to hear.  Let us be slow to put words to a thought. 

Love God!  Love others!  Serve!

Coach/Pastor John
    

No comments:

Post a Comment