Monday, March 25, 2019

Watch and Pray


     Have you ever been worried about something? Have you ever just had a lot on your mind and feel really stressed? I resonate with a few who shared with me this week that we tend to exert much effort to alleviate our situation before we realize that prayer is a needed first response.  I can remember walks with God when passages like Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 6:33-34, and Philippians 4:6-7 came to mind and by the time I had prayed, right perspective was given, clarity and insight was provided and peace of mind replaced worry. 

     You may have had this experience before too.  You lost your keys, a needed document or something important and your search has left you defeated, condemning (I’m so stupid!) and frustrated.  Then you think to pray and God answers.  Some might look at that calling it petty or insignificant, assuming that God doesn’t care about little details of our lives. Our passage today instructs us to cast all our anxieties on God because He cares for us.  God has helped me numerous times in what some may call little, but the heart of the matter is relationship.  Am I so close to God that I can ask Him to help me with the mammoth crises of life as well as the minuscule ones?

     Lastly, I think it is valuable for us to remember the prayer requests of Paul.  He usually asked for boldness and courage to proclaim the gospel and for receptive hearts.  Jesus instructed three New Testament writers to “Watch and Pray.” Each later would extend this command to all believers.  Our prayer as we gather to worship God, and His Son Jesus, is that by the power of His Holy Spirit we all might be changed.  Change our hearts O God!

Love God!  Love others!  Serve!

Pastor John

    

No comments:

Post a Comment