Monday, October 27, 2014

Death Is Approaching!


I was so saddened this week by an incident in our backyard.  We have so enjoyed feeding the birds and providing nesting homes for bluebirds and Carolina Chickadees.  Our bluebird parents have worked so hard feeding the youngster in the birdhouse behind our shed.  Monday, when I came home, I was just beat.  It was a long and emotionally draining day, so I spent the last few moments of light in the hammock.  I was enjoying the birds singing and noticed urgency in the songs of the bluebirds and purple finches.  I failed to realize that Cookie, our calico cat, was on the prowl.  Had I been more alert, I would have realized the frantic cries may have been to me, “Get up!! Help us!!” Cookie caught and killed the bluebird baby.  As Christians, we warn of the coming wrath not unlike the finches and bluebirds as they urged the young bird to fly and take cover through their flying and singing—“Death is approaching!”  We preach a gospel message that demands repentance and faith.  In the backyard story, we could argue that the bird was innocent.  In our story, none are innocent.  The Bible clearly shows us that we are all guilty before God and are totally dependent on His grace to save us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment