Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Derek Webb sings a song about a wedding dress...


I enjoyed celebrating my wife's birthday.  She loves birthdays and so I enjoy making the day special.  I am not lying to her when I tell her that with each passing year I still see her with the same eyes of that July evening in 1987, when all the guests stood to see the beautiful girl that drew all the attention.  Here comes my bride!  It is truly a magical moment in our culture when the music invites us to stand and behold the bride.

This week, I was struck with a powerful picture of the community at Wilson Hall and Carter.  In many ways, our community is similar to the community in Grant Park where Restoration Church will be planted.  Johnny Harvey shared with us that the people there “work to live and live to play.”  Many are on the fast lane with their days filled with activity and the weekend spent with their last thought about God or the church. Praying each name of the neighborhoods here, I saw a picture of Christ’s bride on Carter Road—Crosspoint.  Here she stands arrayed in pure white by the washed blood of the Lamb, a gathering of the redeemed people, and I saw no one standing. The picture saddens me.  Can you imagine a beautiful bride, a groom awaiting her march down the aisle, and everyone is sitting, sleeping, playing, talking and totally oblivious to her presence?

No comments:

Post a Comment